Thursday, August 13, 2009

Who needs amplification? Not me

I was asked yesterday why I attended or participated in my local poetry venue. I answered that I did it for inspiration. Catharsis. The kicks.

Last night all three reasons were realized. It was another qualifying round for IWPS and nine poets were in the slam. I drew the two slot and did a low energy Isotopes of Despair. Tried to slow it down and put some feeling behind it, scored well enough for me but still came in eighth out of nine. Did not think I could make up the points as there was a substantial gap between me and seventh.

I resolved to leave it all on the mic in the second round. The two minute poem. I do not have too many of these, but I did one earlier in the year that was rather topical, revised it a bit right up until it was time to get on the mic.

With the shorter poems, the energy level of the room increased. Scores were going up as the intensity of the poets' performances increased. Then Scott did an edited They Hate Your Poem and the room was going nuts.

Would Jesus Really Rather Have a Buick? was the one I had already planned on doing. I got on the stage, shut off the mic and simply let it rip. Felt great to go batshit for two minutes and get the call and response from the crowd. Good scores moved me up a notch but the points were not the point. It was necessary for me to let out some energy. While it's not the most arty or poetic piece (and what of my work is?), there's a lot of power and humor behind it and it felt good to feel the room get that.

Beverly has said to me on more than one occasion that the night can improve a mood. I've been mopey, anxious about my son (school starts in two weeks!) and the usual and Writer's Block gives good endorphins. So thank you crowd and poets. It was great to see Marshall in what I think was his first slam and congratulations to Louise and Scott for tying for first place.

Next week is another IWPS qualifying round, one and two minutes. There's some writing to do.

No comments: