Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Rhythm of the Heat

It's been quite hot here. Not east coast hot, but we landlocked people do not have any form of a cooling ocean breeze to rely on - just stagnant air and increasing humidity.

So last night I dressed for open mic as if I was headed to the beach. Shorts, t-shirt with holes in it, Chucks with no socks. Then my wife comes down in a nice summer dress and I'm left feeling like a complete dork.

Dirty Franks was packed so we went a couple doors down to the recently reopened Little Palace for dinner. Had the greasiest cheeseburger I've eaten in years. Still not sure if that was good or bad. The server had an uncanny knack of asking how your food was while you're in mid-bite. She was a bit smothering in that aspect of service, and disappeared when it came to paying the check. I've had far worse dining experiences, but I'm not sold on the reboot.

Got to open mic and immediately discovered that the zipper on my shorts broke. I was in a minor pickle, so to speak. Let my wife and Linc know since I was sitting between them. Luckily my shirt was long enough to cover up any wardrobe malfunction. I was still a bit self conscious getting up on stage and reading. I had a secret.

Did a new poem that came from a Facebook prompt. Write a biblical persona poem, the prompt suggested. I've only written a couple of persona poems, they're not my favorite unless the right person is doing them. And by right person I mean Dee Matthews. I've written one from the point of view of Juan Valdez's burro, which tells you, well, what the persona poem means to me.

What I know about the bible you can put on the head of a pin, but in the shower I came up with the idea, wrote it down in about fifteen minutes. Did about five minutes of "research" and tweaked it a bit. It's called David's Rock and I think it went over well. When Rose Smith high fived me after I suspected something worked. Still needs some oomph, but I'm satisfied.

Good quality work at Writers' Block last night. I'll not be able to look at a school bus for awhile without thinking of something illicit involving the bus, a pervert and a trailer. Thanks for the image, poet!

No comments: