Saturday, June 23, 2012

All this and a dude with a snake

Wes Anderson's new film, Moonrise Kingdom, oozes with precocious charm. It's everything that is good about a Wes Anderson film - The swirling sets, the alternative universe, foppish human characters. It's also a perfect definition of what people dislike about his films.

I was totally mesmerized by the sets, a child's eye patch that kept sliding down his face as the film went on, and the relationship between Sam and Susy, a pair of 12 year olds who find themselves falling in love on a remote east coast island. There's an escape from a scouting camp, a chain smoking scoutmaster who drinking cognac while recording his daily log, social services, and a classical based soundtrack.

I recently was told that my cousin designed the cover of one of the fictional books that Suzy reads during the film.



Got to see his name in the closing credits too, very cool. I loved the film.

It ended up being a late night, something we're not used to. I crawled out of bed this morning only to find out that my son was not going to swimming today because he was up half the night. He's also been using the iPod at his mother's to watch videos of surveillance video on school buses.

We ended up going to breakfast at Tommy's, where the owner immediately pointed at my shirt when I came in. I was wearing my Everton shirt and he questioned why I was not wearing something from Chelsea, since they won the Champions League. We bantered about a bit and talked about Euro 2012. He said he had to buy three beers watching his Greek team get slaughtered by Germany yesterday. He's also a Liverpool supporter, but that's not going to stop me from going there.

After finding a cocktail shaker, we walked around Comfest for awhile. I still think the party has become too big for the space, even though we walked around easily. . I'll have pictures tomorrow of a mellow afternoon.

No comments: