Sunday, August 2, 2020

In deep as the walls thicken

This pandemic has been a tough thing to keep any focus throughout. From working at home and missing the Hell out of physical materials to a bored as Hell special needs teenager whose life has been upended overnight - decisions are hard. 

I'm supposed to be going back to work on a half day basis later this month, and I'm ok with that. Again, I really miss books, maps and I do not think either of them are going to kill me. Hell is other people though and there will be maybe a third of normal staffing in the building so there will be social distances. My son's school is set to be distance learning later this month and full time in early September. He does not take well to distance learning and needs a lot of one on one education. I'm really torn. If there was a wsy for him to go a couple of days a week I'd be more accepting. 

I also do not think Ohio's numbers are going to be low enough for anyone to go back to school. Naturally I'm concerned for my son's health. I am also concerned for the health of his teachers, the school's staff, other students and so on. This is really hard. It's been hard to plan and it's going to be very difficult to implement. No one is going to come out ahead. 

All the while legal documents are now in place to assist with the inevitable turning of 18 by the soon to be legal adult. It's a weird time. 

What would have been my 35th wedding anniversary was last week. Twelve years ago she said to never contact her again, I have not done so. Meanwhile she blocks me on Facebook even as she liked one of my tweets a few weeks ago. 

Another result of the lack of courage this country has is that the U.S. Passport has become a useless document, we're the shithole country now. It did not have to happen this way and I blame the GOP cultists in the senate. 

So we sit at home, watching the sparrows and house finches out the window. While I Aimlessly play the new acoustic I traded up for, and wait for what?

2 comments:

s_baghaii said...

This is especially hard on the folks with special needs children. Our district has a five-phase reopening plan. We are starting fully remote. The next least restrictive phase allows the kids with the biggest disabilities go back for in-person learning. However, it doesn't seem that the district has childcare nailed down for the para-educators who work with those kids. Childcare would cost them a third of what they get paid, and that is unsustainable.

Someone Said said...

No, you have to compensate the educators. They're supposed to be the heroes, right? Or was that a few months ago? Has something changed?

I'm able to have N. take a class for 40 minutes a day in the afternoon. The morning is impossible for me. He paid as much attention and participated in his own way, it could have been worse but it is far from the same.

Hope your guy is doing well.