Saturday, December 5, 2009

From the Mailbox

Came home on Thursday to find a package in the mailbox. It was from a friend's workplace and I immediately thought 'candy' as he's been known to send me music and things.

I open it up and it's essentially a complete collection of Jandek DVDs.

Here's his wikipedia entry if you're not familiar with who Jandek is.

A few weeks back, during the ill fated 30 poems in November project, I wrote a poem about WCVF, and name checked Jandek. I'm suspecting that's why I got the package.

My Scottish wife just happened to be at his first gig in Glasgow, and I found that DVD and had it playing when she got home. "Look familiar dear?" I asked as she came downstairs. She knew the drummer and we could not hear her clapping.



In October of 2008, I had the opportunity to see Jandek at the Wexner Center and wrote about it here. I hope Corwood Industries releases Columbus Friday, I'd buy that.

Included in the package was the Jandek on Corwood documentary, which is a fine primer to understand the guy's work. It was released before he started playing in public so some of the mystery has been taken out of it. I'm still trying to figure out if it was better not knowing who the guy is, or if he was better staying put - although I am grateful for the opportunity to see him live.

No comments: