Thursday, March 3, 2016

A vaudeville trick

Was thinking about pith helmets last night and this morning, and the colonialism they ended up representing. To me the helmet was something Groucho Marx wore in Animal Crackers, part of a costume. Then I realized Captain Spaulding was probably a poacher, or even worse.

Everything becomes problematic, if you really want to parse through it enough.

The original excitement over the Ghostbusters trailer quickly became but aren't there enough sassy black women who are not scientists the way the while women are depicted in this film.

Ten years ago today, I mentioned pith helmets in a live journal post.

I did not know this while I was thinking of the pith helmets.

Years ago, I did dress as Groucho for Halloween, and wore a borrowed pith helmet. I do not think my costume was problematic even though I put lamp black on my eyebrows and upper lip.

Ghostbusters 1984 is as good as Animal Crackers, but not Duck Soup. I hope Ghostbusters 2016 is better than A Day at the Races, or at least The Big Store.

No, I do not know what any of this means - other than I want the best for all of us.

No comments: