Sunday, June 25, 2017

Fenders and Gibsons, Gibsons and Fenders

For research purposes, I went to a local guitar show today. I expected a modest crowd, with mostly dudes like me and got that. People were mostly polite and more than willing to answer questions. Went there to see if there were any Hofner guitars and was completely shut out. But there were a few lovely Rickenbackers, including an original 1958, which I think was fairly priced at a whopping ten grand.

No, I did not bring it home with me. I did buy a leather pick, which probably adds too much bass to my tone, but I did buy something amid all the guitars, straps, accessories and even a few record crates.

A vast majority of what was being shown were various models of Fenders and Gibsons, which is what people are looking for now days I guess. I have nothing against them, but they're not really on my radar. For sale was a decent mix of acoustics, electrics and one table devoted to left handed guitars. Gretsch is becoming a make I may look into and the more I play Epiphones the more I lose interest. There was an old Greco, a brand that I never heard of that I asked the dealer about. It was a reasonable $375 and I asked to play it. When I had it in my hands the guy said he could go down to $325. I still was not buying today. Besides, the neck was an awful mess. And if a novice like me could tell...

I was wearing my Mod styled British Royal Air Force shirt, which received two compliments. One of them was from a guy asking if I owned a Waterstone guitar. Another brand I had never heard of. It seems the logos are a close match, and now I'm on the hunt for a Waterstone guitar myself, they seem affordable and have a decent look to them that is in my interests.

There's another show in Chillicothe later this year I will probably be headed to. Again, it's about some more research.

No comments: