Sunday, September 15, 2019

September is a busy month

Summer is leaving and fall, on the calendar at least because it's not in the air yet, is fast arriving. The Mets are on the outside looking in of a crazy wild card race, Everton are off to their embracing of mediocrity and somewhere in there I had a poetry feature.

As part of the Streetlight Guild's Rhapsody and Refrain series, I was asked by Scott Woods to take part. I agreed with some quiet trepidation as I have not read in public at any length for some time and writing has been, to be honest, very tough.

Yet I persevered and brought together a selection of poems, new and old.

For posterity, here's the set list

I already know about John Wayne, open a book (new)
The view from the patio of Atomic Liquors, Las Vegas, on a pleasant 95 degree evening (New)
Planned on this being about a rich Brit in an airport lounge calling Angela Merkel a nazi, but I'm keeping it local
The morning nod (new)
Notation
Before we went to Paris
Imposter father
From the streets of the under served
The luckiest ones
Is gun
David's rock
Ten reasons why I'd rather sit in my basement with a guitar than read a poem (new)
Space: the bigly frontier
After birth
Workshopping a strategic planning task force
For daredevils
The nail spa couch (new)
The last old reel spins (new)
All time none of the time
An obscene phone call from Mr. Potato Head

It went well, I hate my own work more than anyone and I felt comfortable with my personal review. Thought it was presented and paced properly. May have been too shouty, but that was my nerves and excitement. People seem to have genuinely liked it, and that counts the most.

Brought out the Danelectro guitar (and matching Hodad amp) for the 'ten reasons why poem' and tried to do a short riff between the stanzas. All I will say is it sounded better in the basement with no one watching. It looked really good though!

Felt alright to get back out there, maybe this month will inspire me to keep writing.

No comments: