Sunday, June 20, 2010

Another Year Older, a New One Just Begun

Survived another year. I might be in a new demographic now. Having a shot and a beer while the rest of the house should be asleep.

I don't know where aging is taking me. When it's hot outside I feel my age. The heat slows me down, makes me cranky. The usual things do not work the way they used to, maybe that's for the best. I eye the desks and tables at work and remember when I could jump on them in a single vertical leap - wonder if I can do that now, or break my leg trying?

My Scottish Wife does not like the heat either. This is an entirely new climate for her. She complained when she was here two years ago when the temperatures were in the low nineties. Then she visited friends in Austin when the temperatures were hitting record highs of 107, and the locals were complaining. When she came back, she did not say much about the weather.

We're staying here though. For obvious reasons. Even though there are many days when I feel stuck and trapped in this city there are more reasons for me to stay. This house is falling apart. Trees are growing in the gutters. Basement shelving is collapsing, taking out outdated media along with it and I have no idea what to do to make it all better. At least the roof is not failing, yet.

A road trip is not possible until October. An international air trip, which I really want to take, April 2011, if funds can be saved, if people can cooperate.