Tuesday, March 6, 2012

An view of Scottish Football from Ohio

The problems of FC Rangers are making very big news in Europe. My take may not be perfect but here's what I gleaned: the team was sold a couple of years ago and the new owner paid for the team with future revenue. He also promised to put some of his own money into the franchise, which did not seem to happen. There was also a problem of him not paying tax, something the British government does not like. Today the team released a couple of players, more staff and players are expected to be fired.

Last month, the team went into administration, which is essentially bankruptcy. By rule the team was docked ten points by the Scottish Premier League which gave the title, barring massive collapse, to Celtic FC.



If you do not know, the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers, also known as The Old Firm, is one of the fiercest in world sports. I explain it to people here by imagining Ohio State and Michigan football being in the same city, and adding sectarianism.

I'm not qualified to get into the politics behind the Old Firm rivalry. It's been going on for generations. I will be honest and say I chose to support Celtic from thousands of miles away because they never had a policy of firing their employees for simply befriending a Catholic.

The violence, the IRA chanting, not my scene. It was an odd, unsettling experience to walk into an Erin Go Bragh march when headed to Tollcross Park. Not one I wish to repeat.



Back to the teams. I have no idea what is going to happen to Rangers FC. My hope is that a responsible buyer is found who can make the team a fiscal success. Back when the Cleveland Browns were moved to Baltimore it annoyed me, not because I liked the Browns, far from it. They were the hated Cleveland Browns, and you want to beat the teams you despise on the field of play, not due to an accounting farce.

The problems of the Scottish Premier League are numerous, other teams are not in sound financial order. Gretna folded in 2008, Hearts are having problem meeting payroll. There's not much broadcast money coming in and that money is contingent on Old Firm matches happening. As much as others have said the Old Firm does not matter, from my seat on an Ohio couch it sure does. As much as I dislike a two teams at the top league with everyone else fighting for scraps, the SPL needs the Old Firm. Without them a downward spiral would quicken instead of cease.

No comments: