Friday, October 5, 2012

A thunderstorm is rolling though here right now, and I did not bring an umbrella.



There are hills here in Fayetteville. They're kind of steep. Not San Francisco steep, but close enough. When I travel, I realize how out of shape and car dependent I am. It's a pleasant place to walk around in though, and I took advantage of the morning to get lost, then found, then upset the place I wanted to go had not opened about a half an hour past its opening time. I'm talking about you Clinton House.

Going to try and go back there to visit, not sure if there's going to be a downpour though, and I do not want to fight a river of water on a hill.

Had poet orientation, got a great bag of swag that far, far exceeds what Berkeley did. Sorry, but it's true! This year's poet badge is made of wood, with the information all burned into it then darkened with tattoo ink. It's badass.

Before my bout I went to a workshop on comedy given by Big Poppa E. Quite entertaining and I learned a few things. He also ended up hosting the bout I was in.

The four minute round was tough. I went 9th out of eleven. Did After Birth and ended up with the 4th best score in the round. One of the judges came up to me afterwards, said I made her cry. Her five year old brother has autism.

In the one minute round I did An Obscene Phone Call from Mr. Potato Head and had the room going. One young lady tweeted that she 'felt violated by dirty Mr. Potato Head'

My work was done. It was time for a MacCallan.

It scored well. But it was part of a trio of three scores in a row that were there same. Judging was very consistent and fair, but in the second round three scores were a 26.2 and three others were a 26.5. It was all very close. Melissa May took the night in our bout. Another guy named G. Yamazawa also did very well. He's in my bout tonight, too.

Overall I got a 4 and a 6. A ten ranking that places me in 28th position overall. I am shocked in a most pleasant way. The trick is to maintain it.

You can peruse the scores and follow along live tonight here

I also want to thank Ethan Rivera for being very supportive last night. He performed in the same venue in the later bout but was there the whole time. It was good to have a friendly face to vent my stress too when necessary. His bout had some odd judging. I did not think it was consistent, but that's what slam is all about. You never know what is going to happen.

Tonight is the two and three minute round, and I'm hating on all my work today. I will be in a better frame of mind later though. I've met some very cool people and am having a great time. Thanks for all your support and well wishes.



No comments: