Monday, October 2, 2017

Time to move on, time to get going

He was the cool friend of your Uncle who would slip you a beer or some weed at a family picnic. A slight, frail man who wrote some memorable and introspective rock and roll. He's one reason why I play a Rickenbacker.

Tom Petty died today, aged 66.

We saw him here in June. Paid a ridiculous amount of money for tickets, because you never know, right? Especially after 2016. He played his last concert, ending the tour he said would be his last, on September 22nd.

Some retirement.

But we knew he'd never stop making music, because that was what made him magic, what gave him joy.

What kept him going.



See your heroes when you can, even though you know they are not perfect. Take a shitty picture.

Thank you for the music for over 40 years of my life, Charlie T. Wilbury Jr.

2 comments:

last year's girl said...

I said to Stringer last night, this one feels like a test run. Prince and Bowie, as incredible as they were, weren't "my" guys... Tom absolutely was.

What a loss. I wish I had gotten to see him live.

Lis / last year's girl x

Someone Said said...

In the mid 1990's he played here and I got on the phone for the 10AM sale. For whatever reason the ticketbastard idiot picked up at five to ten and would not keep me on hold. That's as close as I got until June. It's not going to be pretty but me and the Rickenbacker in the Back Room this weekend will be ongoing.