Friday, March 9, 2018

The other pitch is not greener

I am not a Columbus Crew supporter.

I am a Columbus Crew fan.

I am not, nor have never been a season ticket holder but I have been to a few matches here and there.

I do watch the matches on television, and had Time Warner Cable when it was the only local way to see them. This season though, unless ownership changes its mind, or changes so the team remains in Columbus, I will not be watching any of the Columbus Crew matches.

I have an old, 2009 edition jersey. I got a t-shirt with the latest logo on it for my son.

I am not invested in the team the way many supporters are. They are followers in a way that determines some of their social lives, good for them.

If the team were to leave Columbus, I would not be happy about it and I understand a lot of lives here would be effected by the move. Yet, my life would go on.

If the team were to leave Columbus, my small interest in Major League Soccer would end. Completely.

I am not a supporter of a sports franchise holding a city hostage to get what it wants.

I am not a supporter of a franchise whose owner is a liar and whose league commissioner is complicit in the moving of the team. This is not about Austin, although they should be warned it can happen to them.

This is about honesty, and the ownership of the Columbus Crew is not honest. Nor is upper management of Major League Soccer.

I’m not a supporter, but a casual fan on the couch, who has watched this team for about ten seasons.

Until now.

Keep the Crew in Columbus.

No comments: