Monday, January 26, 2009

140 Characters in Search of Meaning

No, I do not get twitter. How much of someone's life are we supposed to know? Is it really necessary to get updates on what someone is having for lunch? I do not care if someone chooses Chipotle over Wendy's.

Yes, I've been known to put some real minutia in my live journal, but I'm working on that. Yet, I do not repost said minutia in a daily digest of twitter tweets either.

I do know my loathing of twitter says more about me than twitter.

Internet usage takes up enough of my time already, and Facebook status updates (mine included) can be boring and tedious enough to get through. They can be entertaining at times though. Do I really need to add another social networking tool to my life?

Heck, I do not even text. I do not even have a cell phone. I like my privacy, and how I choose to reveal my life is my decision and mine alone. It's almost as some of these twitterers are crying out 'stalk me stalk me!'

Do I need to know what so called movers and shakers are doing every minute of their day? I have enough troubles with my own life to be concerned about them. I have too much time keeping up on blogs, let alone having a life.

Know what else annoys me? It's when someone says 'I have a blog' and does not update it. Great you have a clever blog title, you think you're smart and cutting edge but you do not update. What's the point?

I'm not saying to be on top of it every day. But a weekly update helps. Twice a month even?

I'm back in the world of blogspot to regain some focus. Even now I'm not sure what I'm going to write about. I do not want to recap Everton, OSU Hockey the Mets or Blue Jackets. I certainly am not going to use this space to write about work. Not sure how much information I want to put about my son here.



Nor do I want to post my poetry, you have to come out to Kafe Kerouac and hear that. Do I need a theme? Probably. So it's going to take some time for me to regain some footing. The fun comes first. If it's not fun, it's not worth doing.

No comments: