Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A long run

Had a good writing prompt today via Twitter and ran with it, and ran and ran.

Timed it out earlier, it was five minutes long. That's all good and fine but for the rigidly timed world of poetry slam, the poem should be three minutes. So I took a hatchet to it, then some more cutting and editing to get it timed right.



Writing for length is something I have to work on, most of my work ends up in the two minute range. Sometimes I can stretch it with quality to get it to the right length. Most of the time I just leave it be, it's better that way.

Five minutes though, that does not happen often. I can use the outtakes as another poem, perhaps! I'll probably just read the director's cut next week.

2 comments:

A said...

I had no idea time/length were a factor. What do I know.

Someone Said said...

In many poetry slams yes, there is a three minute rule. In some there are rounds that can range from 1-4 minutes.