Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Throw me a line, I'm sinking fast

I got into the Roxy Music scene as late as possible. Avalon was the first record of theirs I really came to love, of course it was their last studio release. Bryan Ferry would continue his diverse solo career and would occasionally tour. A large tour was rare for him in the United States. To come to Ohio, let alone Columbus was something he had not done in the 27 years I've lived here so I jumped at the chance to see him when tickets went on sale.

After 2016, you want to see your musical heroes when you get the chance.

The show started off sounding muddy, with the bass overwhelming the sound. I heard one or two people yell out, "kill the bass!" between songs. They had a point. After about 45 minutes the sound issue was cleared up.

Ferry was still shuffling about the stage. Good energy for a man who is over seventy. I was not expecting any high leg kicks, so that was all good. He can't hit the high notes as well, but he settled in a decent lower tone. His stage presence is on point. His fashion, impeccable.

The light show was one of the best I've seen, my iPhone could not do it justice.

The canon was deeply represented, a lot of the first Roxy Music record was played live. Rare stuff so I'm told. The band was smoking hot. All worth the thirty five year wait.

No comments: