Friday, March 17, 2017

Not angry, just lost

When I buy Irish Whiskey, and it’s rare that I do, it’s Bushmill’s. This gets people up in arms about Protestant Whiskey and a beverage being problematic. And I hear this from people who are not Irish.

Oh the dissonance.

I do not like the taste of Jameson’s, is that a crime? And I’m not going to buy a Whiskey called Michael Collins. Might as well have one of those Irish Car Bomb shooters to go along with it.

My Mother’s maternal Grandmother and Grandfather were both Polish immigrants who came over in the early 20th century.

My Mother’s paternal Great-Great Grandparents both came over from Ireland in the late 19th century.

My paternal Grandfather’s Mother emigrated from England in the late 19th century.

My paternal Grandfather’s Great Grandfather emigrated to the United States from Ireland in the mid 19th century.

My paternal Grandmother’s family history is filled with mysteries but with some certainty I can say her Grandparents were from Ireland and emigrated here in the late 19th century.

How much Irish Soda Bread should be in my house today?

I can take or leave Guinness Stout and have one or two a year, but not today.

How much Americanized distance is there between me and my ancestors from 1850-2017?

Here I am now, closer to my so called roots to Suffolk County, New York, Western New York State and Columbus, Ohio than to any of the olde countries any members of my family lived. I am closer to Fall River, Massachusetts, Brooklyn, Astoria, Greenpoint than Derry, Dublin, Libniki, Baba or Clitheroe. Maybe it’s one large disconnect between my brain and the world?

If others want to hoist one for St. Patrick, wear Kelly Green and shamrocks, fill their bellies with corned beef and cabbage (which I loathe) so be it. I might just break out some Van Morrison and drink a Four String Big Star instead.


No comments: