Saturday, December 19, 2009

Two to Four Inches of Snow is Light. Lighten up America!

Maybe I'm spoiled, insensitive and tough but when did the people of Central Ohio, heck, the rest of the country become so fearful of the weather?

Today is December 19th. The winter solstice starts on Monday.

It's December. This is winter. There is going to be snow, ice, sleet, freezing rain and cold weather. This is what happens in parts of the northern hemisphere during this time of year. What has happened to the culture of this country that has become so alarmist when there is a snowflake visible?

I spent a decade in the snow belt of Western New York and saw some serious snowfall. So back in March of 2008, when Columbus got twenty inches of snow - that was serious, the most I've seen here in twenty years.



I'm not a cold weather person, and I loathe ice on the roads. My car is the only Volvo in North America that does not start when the temperature is in the single digits.

So last night and into today, there was snow. How much? Two freaking inches and you'd think there was a nuclear war being waged. Blogs and Facebook statuses were updated with spewings of hatred and fear of snow. You'd think Osama Bin Laden was controlling the weather the way the venom was flying off people's keyboards.

And the weather forecasters on the news do not help with their calls of alarm. Their sending of reporters for live remotes to the city salt barn if the temperature drops below freezing and the sky has a dark cloud. What a waste of resources. Can't they report something more important? I remember Jym Ganahal on channel four years ago, practically crying on the air because there may be ice on the roads during rush hour and he said, "Our only hope is if the sun comes out to melt the ice." As if Satan and demons were conspiring to cause people to have to drive through inclement weather. As if the world could not be a perfect place unless temperatures are in the seventies year round. This is not Aruba. It gets hot. It gets cold. Sometimes it does not rain for a week. Sometimes it rains for three days straight. It's part of life.

An inch or two of snow is nothing people, drive sensibly and it will be gone in a couple of days. Deal. Be patient. Plan accordingly. Have a plan. I understand that many cities are not equipped with the resources for snow removal and it sucks when the power goes out because of excessive ice. The bad weather will end.

People, have a seat by your window. Turn off the news. Have something warm to drink. Watch the snow fall. It's pretty.

When did people become so afraid of nature?

9 comments:

BrownSugar said...

I drove in it both last night and this morning, which is saying something since I HATE driving in snow, but it was nothing. People need to lighten up. lol

Does this mean I'm acclimating to Columbus?

Someone Said said...

I'd say you are adjusting fine. No whining when it's ten degrees with drifts though ;)

BrownSugar said...

Aww come on! Not even a little whine? 10 degrees is cold!

Someone Said said...

10 is cold, and I'll be whining when my car does not start. Guess you're allowed too ;)

Anonymous said...

When I moved back here last winter, I was horrified when the weatherologist put an ice tray filled with water outside the newsroom window at the start of the newscast, then a half hour later (spoiler alert).... IT WAS FROZEN. Who could have predicted?

with a heavy sigh and hugh eye roll, I put on my hat and gloves and went out to shovel the drive.

Someone Said said...

Within the first two weeks I moved here, the temperature dropped to -24. That never happened in Fredonia, the lake moderated the temperature somewhat.

Winter can be brital here, it does stay cold.

Anonymous said...

I think people like panicking.

We humans have been waging war on nature for a while now.

(nammu)

Someone Said said...

You think people like the intensity of the panic, Nammu?

Yes, we like to fight nature. Thing is, eventually, nature wins, everytime. People do not seem to want to learn from that experience.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they like the intensity. I think folks have gotten addicted to freaking out about stuff. I include myself in this, but don't think every single person fits into my sweeping generalization.

Yes, nature will always win. As it should.

nammu