Thursday, December 31, 2009

Back on the Bank Block

On New Year's Eve, I find myself in Stauf's again, just like three years ago. The background music is The Pet Shop Boys and not a bad Hallelujah cover.

What have I, What have I, what have I done to deserve this?

I'm here because Emma's across the street at the dentist, not to sit and reflect on my life falling apart - as life was then.

Two years ago I was in Glasgow, wandering around a chilly damp city that was getting ready for Hogmanay. We drank champagne, hung out in a jacuzzi and watched Jools Holland ring in the new year. One month later my divorce was finalized.

Last year Emma was here, still on the tourist visa, and we went to Dave's and I sang The Candy Man. It was a perfect way to start the calendar year.

Today I wait here, post-bagel, drinking a french vanilla coffee and waiting to see what condition my wife will be in after her procedure. The music has changed.

Holiday, it would be so nice.

Oh man, now it's Shalamar.

I can tell by the look in your eye that you're a dead giveaway. I'm finding out what you're all about.

I did one of those year in review memes on Facebook, not going to subject it to you here. One thing though. There is a resolution. Something I need to do. Need is a very powerful words but when I see that number on a scale I know something has to change.

I see Limbaugh is in the hospital with chest pains. I do not want the man dead, but to live long enough so he can realize how wrong he is about so many things.

Speaking of death. Had only three hits in the deathpool this year, including the Farrah/MJ double. I know the day is not over but I have submitted next year's 40 to the proper compiler.

Had no idea at the beginning of last year that I'd abandon my live journal for this place. I think I'm happier here. It's hard to log on to live journal and see the deterioration. The people who have disappeared. If you're still there, I'm not picking on you for staying, not at all. It has changed, and it was a change that was hard for me to stay with. After the divorce, the drama stopped, comments dropped and I kept a lot of the personal stuff quiet. Good for me, bad for business. Losing a few friends was tough, and you miss some of that interaction. Moving forward is the new black though.

It's good to be here, on blogger. I see the number of hits increasing, but the comments are not increasing in proportion to the page views. I appreciate the readership. A lot. Thank you for coming. Please stay. Introduce yourselves. And have a happy new year.

And the train conduction says driver 8 take a break we can reach our destination, but we're still a ways away.

4 comments:

Link said...

I've been noticing a HUGE deterioration in LJ myself. Everyone's going to FB and I just don't like facebook. So, it looks like I'll be back to actually calling and emailing folks to see how their lives are going. A scary thought ; )

marybindc said...

I read this through an RSS reader, so I'm not as inclined to comment as I might be if the comment box was right there. So I'm one of those silent hits!

Anonymous said...

There are 13 readers of the LJ syndication and apparently there are four comments there (!!??).

I don't think i was ever much of a consistent commenter, but i do wish you, and the wife, and the boy* a very Happy New Year.

Yesterday, seeing a photo of D's son on LJ, how grown up he is, made me realize how i began reading your journal just before the boy was born, and how dark some of the time after that was for you. I'm so glad that life seems so much lighter for you now!

Again Happy New Year!

* trying to respect the anonymity of mystery....

Someone Said said...

Linc: Face to face or voice to voice contact! Perish the thought :)

Mary. I started subscribing to my own rss to see comments there so I guess I'm hitting on my own blog too.

Elaine: Yes, D's son has grown a ton! Life has certainly taken some turns.