Friday, November 12, 2010

A Movement in 180 Grams

Plans sometimes have a good way of falling together. Yesterday we're trying to figure out what to do on our day off when Scott Woods issues a Facebook blast suggesting it would be awesome if we met at Spoonful Records then head to lunch.

Which is exactly what we did.



I went downstairs and found a few records I wanted to trade. They've been sitting down there for eight years and have not been played in longer. Time to find some music that I could use.

Got a fair trade and my Scottish Wife and I picked out a few records. Found some Bowie, Ray Charles, Roxy Music, Queen, Steve Winwood, and more. We were joined by Scott and a few others. Played a bad game of pinball. Besides those that Scott brought to the shop, the place was rather busy on a day off for a lot of state employees. Brett's got a good thing going in that location and I hope he can sustain it.

Lunch was great. I'd never been to J. Gumbo's as it's only open during the week. Cajun food similar to what Da Levee's doing, and just as good. I knew J. Gumbo's used to be a place called Skambo's, and Writers' Block used it as a venue, many years ago. Also had a good conversation about where to get pants for our skinny sons.

Really great idea by Scott and I hope we can do this again sooner than later. We must go through all the eateries in Pearl Alley.



Got a few errands done yesterday, but after lunch ended up taking a nap then played vinyl the rest of the afternoon.

4 comments:

BrownSugar said...

Bummer! I had no idea about the Spoonful meetup or I would have joined you. J. Gumbo's was a lunch staple when I worked at the Rhoades Tower. El Arepazo is pretty tasty as well.

Someone Said said...

Wanted to go to El Arepazo for awhile, but they're only open during the week. Same with Ringside Cafe. They're s breakfast only spot in the alley too.

BrownSugar said...

Ringside has yet to impress me. Between the too soggy, greasy fries and burnt burgers, I wrote them off after two visits.

Someone Said said...

Ooh, good to know.