Sunday, April 22, 2012

The top of the cone

Jeni's is now a destination. I worry that Jeni's has expanded too much and we'll see a quality drop. Jeni's is, hands down, the best ice cream in the world. I will fight you over this fact. One of the first places I took my Scottish Wife in daylight after we met the first time was Jeni's. Not this one, but the one in the North Market. I'd been touting it to her as Mecca for months, because it is, and everyone is allowed.
But I go to the Grandview location most, because it's easiest to get in and out of. Most of the time, there is a line. All of the time, there are smiles. Why? Because people know they're about to have the best ice cream in their lives, or, they're about to for the first time. If Columbus is the Ice Cream Capitol of the World, and I'll tell you anytime that it is, Jeni's is the flag flying proudly from the top of the dome. Yes, it's expensive. But do you eat caviar every night? Drink Bollinger Champagne for breakfast daily? (let me know if you do, I'll bring the toast), go to your luxury box at the opera every night? It's worth every penny. Now if you'll excuse me, there's some Roxbury Road in the freezer that needs my attention.

2 comments:

Link said...

You know, I would have fought you with Young's Dairy, just outside of Yellow Springs, as my basis...but that quality has gone down just a bit. Now Greater's, on the other hand, oh yeah...we'll have to throwdown on that one!

Someone Said said...

Young's is a nice, quality, tourist trap ;)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Graeter's. The black raspberry chip is outstanding. But it's not Jeni's pear riesling sorbet.