Sunday, March 23, 2014

A dropped syllable reveals so much

My son is somewhere between 57-58 pounds now. I weigh him on the scales at the pool every couple of weeks. He is slowing gaining weight, definitely not losing. He eats fine for me, we introduced creamed corn into his diet and he has not put up any real fuss. Yes, that creamed corn is also blended, hard to wrap your head around but that's part of the challenge.

Tonight we were doing some drawing and I wrote out his first and last name and asked him to repeat it, which he did. I think that was the first time I heard him say his last name, which is all odd and unsettling to me. It defines a lot of the difficulty and what we have to face. And why didn't I do this years ago? I cannot imagine how difficult it is for him to process everything.

After that I wrote out Columbus, Ohio. I've heard him repeat Ohio before, which he pronounces as "Hi-O."

The school lottery form is being filled out and sent by his mother. She's the residential parent so it's her responsibility. We hope he gets into the place we toured, many of his classmates end up going there so we hope for that familiarity for him. So many changes ahead, including physical, which we are nowhere near prepared for.

No comments: