Thursday, July 30, 2009

Putting on a show

Got to look around the Thompson Hall renovation this morning. There's still some work that needs to be done but it's a stunning renovation that may be a great example of what the 21st century academic library should be.



A worry I have is that people will not respect the building. A lot of money was spent to modernize the library. Obviously the students and patrons should feel more than welcome to use the facilities, but there are so many nooks and crannies - and so much to keep clean.



That said, I'm very proud to be a part of this library. While I'm not going to be working in it, there will be many opportunities to be a part of it. I was only in the old library a couple of times before it was fixed up and I never went upstairs in the stacks. The view from the tenth floor is rather stunning.



My favorite part of the building that I have seen is the Main Reading Room, which is pictured above. After that the floating staircase is very cool.



The building opens to the public on Monday. The official gala is later in August.

No comments: