Saturday, January 21, 2012

Do You Haiku?

Last night was the annual NuKu Haiku Head to Head Match at Writers' Block First Draft. I was asked to be in the event and began preparation weeks ago. Thinking in 5-7-5 and three lines. Writing Haiku on an almost daily basis and right up to minutes before the start.

The emcee was Taz Yamaguchi, a national Haiku Master, who ran the match with dignity and precision.

Open mic was very good last night and John Barnes knocked me out with a couple of short poems that had some thought provoking punch.

Taz also did a feature, with Colin Martin providing some great emphasis on his saxophone.

Now it was time for the match, and for the brackets to be filled. I drew a bout with Rose Smith. Advancing was going to be difficult, if not impossible.

I brought out some wack stuff, and somehow won in three straight. Stunned. Beyond. Belief.

In round two, I faced off against Alexis. She was more than prepared for me and took me out in four.

If you're going to be taken out, it's best to be taken out by the champion, which I was. Alexis took on Vernell in the finals and won. Amazing and well earned!

All the participants did great. Ara, Izetta, Hanif and Andy Anderson; who deserves this award for one of his Haiku.



Here is what I did last night, in order.

Kenny G. divorce
We can only conclude that
Sax is not enough

Your soul is bitter
Like a Gingrich ex-wife or
either of my two

Go down with your ship
Bad Italian sea captain
Chicken of the sea

Ok George Lucas
Do I have to see Red Tails?
Is Jar Jar in this?

Calista Gingrich
Are you completely frozen
below the waist, too?

Ice, rain, water, wind
snow, dust storm, hurricane, sleet
Shit my Haiku says

Ghosts are terrified
when Courtney Love has breakfast
without make up on

And here are three more I did not get to do.

Sad nativity
Balthazar brought the wrong myrrh
Forgot the receipt

Perry Huntsman Paul
Gingrich Santorum Romney
I miss Herman Cain

Failure writes itself
Sad Columbus Blue Jackets
Whoops, another goal

One more since he called me out last night.

Scott Woods is racist
When we ordered chicken wings
He took all the sauce

Oh Hell, a couple more

Scott Woods Guide to Love
Bedsheets, wrap her up tightly
Jar of Mrs. Dash

Fully loaded Glock
and fully loaded strippers
The Chet's Guide to Love

Thanks to Louise for putting this night together. Great evening!

No comments: