Thursday, January 26, 2012

What wad ye wish for mair, man?

It was a perfect storm of poetry last night. For the past day or two I'd been taunting my wife, trying to get her to read something by Rabbie Burns at Writers' Block. How often does Burns supper fall on a Wednesday.

After I sent her some of Burns' most erotic and filthy poems in email, she found one a bit more sensible and read last night. She had to represent!



After a three virgin open mic, and one of them was thirteen, Scott Woods took twelve minutes to introduce Rick, who did a twelve second poem. No wonder he gets so many time penalties.

There was also the first qualifying slam for Nats. Eight poets entered and J.G. won this night, with Wali taking second and Gina third. Each of them earns points to get into the Grand Slam. Louise came in fourth, myself fifth and Alexis, sixth, with Rose and Izetta in there as well.

I did a new one called 'A Few Words from our Sponsor" and "Slam Poet Junction," which I'd only used in a slam once before, at Rust Belt. I think it's only been read three times, despite it having You Tube presence. I'm glad the No Repeat Rule remains in effect this year. Tired of relying on the same poems to earn high scores and points. Time to challenge myself to do newer work, or at least poems that have not been performed. Same as last year.

No comments: