Thursday, June 28, 2012

Over three minutes ten seconds, you go back to your seat. You feel shame

Last night was another IWPS qualifying slam at WB. There were two rounds, the first a three minute poem, the second a one minute.

I’d done the three minute so many times, and in so many places. I slowed it down, just a little too much and the time was 3:11. One second over the ten second grace period left me with a half point deduction. Such is the animal of slam. I would have finished first in the round instead of tied with two others.

My one minute was a brand new poem. A bit on the odd side; inspired in part when Hanif said there were no Tito Jackson poems in a Facebook comment. I used it. It went ok, but a couple poets sailed by me in the standings.

Turns out, I would have finished in third had I not had the time penalty. No one to blame but me. Congratulations to Ethan and Gina who tied for first place, and Vernell for coming in third.

Also a welcome to the fold to Aaron, who broke his Slam Cherry last night. He was so cute, doubled over in his chair all nervous before going on stage.

In other news the book I’m anthologized in came in the mail yesterday!



If you want to read the rest of the poem you can get the book HERE.

Also been watching the internet foam at the mouth over the ACA today.

No comments: