Friday, June 1, 2012

Rainy Day in June

My wife and I had a good dinner at Milestone 229 last night. The food is a bit pricey and there are not many selections for vegetarians, but the drinks are exceptional and the view of the Bicentennial Park fountains and Scioto River make it the best outdoor dining in the city. Not sure if I'll eat there much, but for a nice outdoor cocktail it's a destination.

Speaking of food, I went back to the Creole Kitchen for breakfast this morning. The place was bustling at 7:30AM. A number of people, drinking what I think was free coffee, stood around chatting while waiting for their food. I ordered french toast, an egg and turkey sausage. Also got a beignet, which I'd never had before.

The french toast was dense and flavorful, lots of pleasant sweet spice. When I ordered the guy at the counter said I did not have to have turkey sausage. At this point now, I'll eat what even Chef Henry makes. In fact, while I was there, a customer getting his order said to Chef that, "His wife loves him."

As I've said, if this place was anywhere else, it would be famous.

Loved the beignet by the way, tasty fried dough in powdered sugar. Saved a couple for my wife, not sure how they hold up after a few hours.

This weekend is the Columbus Arts Festival. I will be working the stage in some capacity all day tomorrow and a bit on Sunday. I'm also participating in the slam Saturday night at eight, which is going to be a great appetizer for Water Fire.

Very excited to be back at the riverfront. We walked around after dinner and were impressed with the layout. You can see the whole festival from just about wherever you are standing. You can also walk the festival in a line without any doubling back to see anything you missed.

The Word of Art stage is in a prime location, at the corner of Civic Center and Town Street. It's a major entrance point and the poets are going to have some fantastic exposure. Speaking of exposure, it's not in a tent this year so bring an umbrella (you will need it today) or sunscreen (because you never know) as there's no cover, except for the poets.

The Rich Street bridge is also open for foot traffic this weekend.


The Word is Art stage is on the left.

I've also installed a widget here, just to monitor where people are coming from. I do not care who you are, but management is curious.

In some rare discussion here regarding work I was encouraged to put my name in the ring to be a member of the Staff Advisory Council for the library. Five people were being voted on for four openings in the committee. I was one of the four. God, I'd hate to have been the fifth.

2 comments:

That gentleman's lady said...

French toast! I've not yet managed to like it.

Creole french toast might be interesting though.

Someone Said said...

It's denser than your regular. He used a thicker bread and more spices. Very rich, and very tasty!