Thursday, February 25, 2010

When a Two Minute Poem Runs 3:25

Congratulations to Marshall, Razoul and Gina for finishing 1-2-3 in last night's slam. In my case slam was Canada's Olympic Hockey Team to my Russia.

I drew first and did a very low energy poem that I thought would make up for the quiet with a burning wit and intensity. What happened was a poem full of bad Pinter pauses. Heck, I even drew a time penalty. I blame myself.

You never know what's going to happen at a slam. What happened after I read took on a life of its own. There were twelve poets in the first round, five judges and sixty total scores. I may be mistaken but there were 27 scores of ten handed out in the first round, that's almost half. An odd night where it seemed poets were given a perfect score for walking on stage. Gina's combined score was a 59.7, and she came in third place overall. Razoul had a 29.8 I think and Marshall had a perfect 60.

Next slam will be different. They all are.

Remembered a little of last night's dream. There was a surprise birthday party held for Scott Woods. Somehow I convinced Kool and The Gang to come play his party. They showed up. Set up their gear. Scott arrived. Was duly surprised. Then suddenly left. I kept asking when he was going to come back, because Kool and The Gang had another show to do later. A show that payed. I kept getting told Scott was coming. He'd be back any minute. Meanwhile the guests are waiting to eat. Kool and The Gang were running out of patience and a kid playing a ukulele left handed became the opening act.

4 comments:

BrownSugar said...

Last nights scoring was crazy. You are right about getting 10's for walking up. But as you said, every slam is different. I'm glad I made it out in between my fire tending. It was good to get hugs from you and your scottish wife. ;-)

I loved your pause filled poem! Didn't you hear me cackling?

schroederjt said...

Whatever the deal with the scoring - the points are not the point. The poetry last night was awesome! It was, however, a shame that your Dumped/Dumping piece got dumped on.

Someone Said said...

The heartbreak of going first, perhaps. Most words were flying on stage last night, mine kept stalling :)

It's all fine.

BrownSugar said...

Agreed Joanna! It was a hot night of poetry and I am so glad I made it out. How is it I didn't get a hug from you. Totally my fault on that one.

Dumped/dumping/dumped made me cackle again. ;-)