Monday, September 6, 2010

Did Not Buy a Broom This Year

Took part in the Upper Arlington Arts Festival Poetry Slam this afternoon. Had a title to defend. Made my way through the crowd, it seemed a lot bigger in scale this year than last year's.

Had my end of summer Lemon Shake Up and found Rose Smith before finding other poets gathered behind the activities tent.

Scott Woods was hosting this year and he gave us the low down. Prizes would be awarded this year. Cash prizes.

"Dollars?" One of the poets exclaimed.

Yup, cash money.

Louise Robertson has the thankless job of going first with no sacrificial poet. Then I went up and did Lincoln Tower: The Grassy Knoll, which is about escaping cows in Ohio. There were only three judges, but there was a good crowd and I scored fourth in the first round.

Wali Crowder arrived just in time and was immediately called to the stage where he knocked the crowd out with Bullets. It was time to get deep.

I did After Birth in the second round. Scott taunted me by reading the scores from high to low. I received two 10's and a 9.7. Nice.

Did not think I scored high enough to get past MeaLea and get into third spot, but I did. I felt just like this.



Never won money before, and I got a certificate. Good times!

After the slam we were awarded our prizes on the main stage and Wali (who won), Rose (2nd) and I each read a poem. I did Daredevils, a good encore. Not many people were there but it was cool.

So, after dealing for the last time with anyone from Virgin Mobile, it was a great ending to a wonderful weekend.

No comments: