Monday, September 13, 2010

I'd sooner put some joy back

I'm still not sure why any of Paul Weller's efforts, The Jam or Style Council never caught on in the U.S. Maybe he was took political, or too powerful of a songwriter for American audiences and radio to grasp. When The Jam broke up, the first album of the Style Council caused a lot of banter and discussion at my college radio station about how Weller had sold out rock for smooth jazz. I was not among them, I thought it was a clever new sound, and loved the energy, but what I know about jazz you can put on the head of a pin.



I've been going back to my vinyl and playing the few records I have of them over and over. It's a great sound of rock trio strongly influenced by The Who to impressive pop with underlayings of soul. I have to say I prefer The Jam of all his material, which should not come as a surprise. Weller still has the passion to this day.



While Weller is viewed as a cantankerous legend in his native country he's a cult musician over here. I have a couple of his solo records but have never really connected with them, but what I've heard from his new record is pretty darn good. At least the music is easy to find.

1 comment:

marybindc said...

Weird, I just pulled out "The Singular Adventures of..." the other day and remembered why I loved it. It's held up extremely well over the years.