Saturday, September 11, 2010

Happenings Minutes Ago

One of my poems is included in the Language of the Art exhibit now on display at the main branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library. Poets were assigned works of art from local photographers and artists and asked to write an ekphratic poem.

I received a photograph called Bloodless Beasts and wrote this poem about it.



It was very cool to meet the photographer, Ed Elberfeld, to discuss the photograph and poem.



We hit it off very well. My assessment of what the picture was of matched where he had taken it. I worried about that. Soon, I'm going to send him one of my poems and he's going to send me an image. I like this type of collaborative effort and find it odd that I have not explored this in my own work.

The reading that coincided with the exhibit was wonderful. Many of the poets read their work and got to meet the artists involved.

Kudos to the German Village Art League, Scott Woods and all the collaborators for this exhibit, which runs through October 22nd.



After an exhausting effort that took no less than two mobile phone companies and being unable to activate a phone online to having it take an hour to do in an actual store with an actual person helping - we now have a cell phone.

My lovely wife is currently painting the dining room. I'm proud of her.

When is this country, as a whole, going to have the resolve to heal itself after 9/11/01? Yes, I understand it was a horrible day and the lives of many were changed, forever. I'm wondering if the victims would like it if we had their memories battered over our heads. Thing is, it's not just on the anniversary, but the other 364 days too. How can anyone move forward from that?

I'm starting to resent being told I have to be patriotic today (of all days) and being reminded to "never forget."

How can anyone forget?

I love the stories, the memories. We all have them to share and I honor those.

Anyway, here's a picture of the kid with his hair cut.



Been quite the week. Weirdness with cell phones, and other store transactions that went awry, being snubbed by someone you have not seen in thirteen years. I said hello, was definitely seen but walked right by, to forgetting to bring my son's swim trunks to his lesson this morning. It's said that Mercury is in retrograde. How does that explain my coming in third at the Upper Arlington slam or Everton scoring two goals in extra time to tie Manchester United?

No comments: