Saturday, May 19, 2012

I am Foul Ball Bitter

Last night I did a feature at Kafe Kerouac. It was a benefit for the Writers' Block Slam team to raise money for their trip to Charlotte in August. A donation for stage time that really worked well this year.

My fifteen minutes was of all new work. I'm rarely confident about it, but pieced together a few poems that had been sitting in my 'poetry' gmail file for as long as a year and as short as last week. Time to release the work, and see what happens.

Here's the set list, for record keeping purposes.

Today is My Friday
318 Feet From Home Plate
Conversations with the Woman Who Cuts My Hair, When we Accidentally Met at the Jiffy Lube
270 Loop
The 17 Effects of Relegation
The Hidden Letter G
Turkish Projection

Some of went over a lot better than expected. It felt a lot stronger doing it than when I organized the work. One still does not feel finished, another couple still need some edits, one can be tossed out completely, yet another was spot on.

And it went much too quickly.

2 comments:

Ben Ditty said...

I laughed really hard at your Foul Ball Bitter piece. Hope to see you read again sometime!

Someone Said said...

Thank you Ben. I'm usually there on Wednesday's. The night is worth the trip. Joe loves it so much he sold his house in Marion to move closer ;)