Saturday, August 11, 2012

First, do no harm

Home repair and I are often on two different planets, it's more on the miss side than getting the job done right.

My wife has been painting the back window frames. First she scraped, and scraped, then she put tape down, and put tape down. Now she's been painting, and painting. She's very deliberate and makes the project look good.

I bought some nails to repair parts of the back fence. The heat wave we've been having all summer has finally broke, so I went out this morning to bang in a few nails. The first one went in just fine, and ended up sticking out a good inch on the neighbor's side. Took care of that mistake and went out to get some shorter nails. I think the fence will hold in a stiff wind now.

The lawn needed to be mowed, there are finally some green patches in the burned brown sections of the back yard. Got the mower out, first pull and the rope broke. Took the top section off, tried to retie it, checked google and youtube in attempts to fix it. No go. It seems there is no longer any recoil, the spring appears to be shot. Now I have to try and get that fixed, or weigh options. A friend suggested craigslist, which is not a horrible idea as long as you don't get killed while going to a stranger's house. It is true we got a free cabinet off the site. It stores our liquor handily. Maybe I'll find a mower, and upgrade all at once. The mower is over ten years old and despite my replacing the blade, does not seem to cut the way it did.

No comments: