Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Have returned to Ohio

Back in Columbus after a few days away. We almost could have driven to our destination as American Airlines had a massive cock up on Thursday morning for a flight to Chicago, and our flight. We were about three and a half hours late in departure.

Nevertheless we arrived at the ancestral home and had a very good time. Went out east on Friday. My son was not pleased being out in the open spaces and by the water. He just wanted to chill. He did not sleep well four of the five nights we were there. He did eat better as the weekend progressed.

Here's a photo dump, with some descriptions of what we did.




Bethpage Park, about five minutes from my parents house. Home of the Long Island Ducks of the independent league. Great place to see a game. If this was around 35 years ago when I was growing up, I would have been here all the time instead of Putt-Putt.



Fudgie the Whale knows.



It was Bud Harrellson bobble head night. My friend Jodi re-enacted the great fight he had with Pete Rose. Awesome!



The Museum of Natural History. Can't beat the dinos. I had not been here in years. When we went on field trips we always seemed to start on the bottom floors and never had time to see the fourth floor, where all the dinosaurs are.



The dioramas here are amazing.


Japanese girl giving the peace sign in front of a Tiki God. Come on!


My favorite diorama of all. Why?


Aw, look at the cute, dead otter.


Central Park was wonderful for a post-museum walk. Hey, a wedding!


The Bow Bridge.


Central Park Bandshell. Yes, is the answer!


Serious playground ball on 4th Street. The trash talking is amazing.


McSorley's Ale House, the greatest bar in the world.


This was outside of some theater/bar on St. Marks Place. I have not had time to research it, but there's Kitty Carlisle and Allan Jones, who were in A Night at the Opera with the Marx Brothers.


I took pictures in all the subway stations.

Great visit. As always, there is never enough time. I did get to see a couple of friends and a few relatives. My wife met some more of the family. Had a brief, but wonderful time with an old friend from elementary school and his family. Ate some fresh fried sea bass, drank plenty. I think it was a good visit.

Back to work tomorrow. First day of school for my son. He starts the fourth grade. Where did the time go?

2 comments:

James said...

The theater on St. Marks is Theater 80. I've seen the Improvised Shakespeare Company there.

I'm glad that you and Emma had fun here!

Someone Said said...

Looking it up a little, I see it's been a vital part of the area's culture for a few decades. Liked the footprints out front.