Monday, April 6, 2015

Making it 1985 again

Readers of this blog know I've been on a constant updating of my sound system project for a couple of years.

I knew the weak link to the system was the amplifier. Even with the clarity of sound, the power was quite low and the system would cut itself out if the volume got too loud. Sometimes I like it loud, but this was a loss I could accept.

My son is on spring break this week so I'm watching him for a couple of days so instead of doing laundry I took a look at my thirty year old Onkyo TX-15 this morning. The only problem is that one of the phono input channels drops out. Opened it up, looked at the connection, tried cleaning it and getting the dust out of places there should not be dust, closed it up and hoped.

It sounds very good, I do have to say the separation is better with the Lepai amp. but I'll take the volume over that any day. Also have the FM if I ever need that. Still working on the AM reception. Plus, I went to Best Buy and picked up a cord similar to this and I can plug in my iPod or laptop to the system. Sweet.

All that's missing is a cassette deck!

Verdict: so far so good, but I'm keeping the Lepai just in case.

No comments: