Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gary Cooper did not get his chow

The CAPA Summer Movie Series is one of the things that makes Columbus a cool place to live. Thursday night we went to the Ohio Theater to see Wings on the big screen. Wings is a silent. Made in 1927, it's the first film to win an Oscar for best picture. It's also still not available on DVD.

It's set during World War One and director William Wellman put together some great fighter plane sequences. It's also a love story starring the mad hot Clara Bow.



The guy next to her is Buddy Rogers. It also stars Richard Arlen. I did not notice until the opening credits that Jobyna Ralston was also in Wings, in a small but important role. She was in many films with Harold Lloyd.



Gary Cooper also had a small role in this film, he was having an affair with Clara Bow at the time.

I was not expecting to like Wings as much as I did. The acting was sub par but the pacing of the film and the flying scenes made the film thrilling to watch. And, Clark Wilson on the Mighty Morton Organ, playing a score taken from many sources, is always a treat.

4 comments:

Laughingrat said...

Dammit, I really wish I'd gone to see this.

Are you going to Evil Dead?

Someone Said said...

And it's available on DVD, yet at least.

Probably not, the late showings are past my bedtime.

BrownSugar said...

Sorry I missed you guys leaving yesterday. I didn't get any pictures of y'all :-(

Thanks again for coming.

Someone Said said...

sorry we missed you too teri. we hit a wall.

thanks again for the lovely and calorie filled food :)