Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pages and Pictures and Wine, Oh My!

A publishing trend I've noticed over the past few years is authors who write novels simply to have them made into movies. I'm sure this has been happening for a long time, but it's taken me until recent years to notice this. I enjoyed reading Jonathan Tropper's novel, This is Where I Leave You. It is full of some very hysterical dialogue, some poignant family issues and memorable characters. What I found myself doing more was imagining who would play the characters as actors than viewing them as characters in a book. I did not hate this book, at all, but found it striving to be a 300 odd page treatment for a shorter screenplay than a work of literature.

Earlier this week my Scottish Wife and I found a new (to us) little oasis just outside of Olde Dublin.Indian Run Falls is quite lovely and I imagine even more water would be flowing if we had a wetter summer.



Went out for a bit this afternoon to check out Urban Scrawl, a very cool endeavor to promote the artists of Franklinton, a pocket of blight just west of downtown Columbus that is trying to lift itself out of dire straits artistically.



There's even a cool skateboard area in Dodge Park.



Did a double take at the grocery store wine department this afternoon.



The wine on sale is Silver Oak Cabernet Sauvignon. Back in my time in the wine business this wine was highly allocated and rarely seen in shops, let alone in the wine area of Kroger. Seeing it on sale was quite shocking. Must be an off vintage, the winery or distributor being desperate for cash or Silver Oak itself has gone way out of fashion by the fickle wine aficionados.

The few times I did get to try it, the wine was not worth the price.

No comments: