Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pushing the Button

Did my civic duty and went to vote today. The city is having a special election to raise the tax from 2% to 2.5%. It's a rather heated issue in a state that is, with the rest of the world, in a serious economic crisis.

That's not the subject though.

When I got to my polling station there was a young man working the machines for the county. He looked vaguely familiar.

"Long time no see." He said as I handed him the card telling me where to vote.

It was Kevin, one of my old volunteens from my days at the library. One of my duties was to supervise some teenagers who volunteered at the branch. They'd be assigned some small tasks, like clearing out the book drop or pulling reserves for customers off the shelves. Kevin was one of the more responsible volunteers. He took his role seriously, but, like any kid, you had to watch him.

He comes from a large family, and sometimes getting enough sleep or food was hard. One year he actually gave me a Christmas card. He was one of the positives I got from my six plus years of hell at CML, and I am very happy to see the young man grow up and serve his community in an important and often thankless job, and get paid a few bucks too.

I'm impressed, and proud of him.

No comments: