Sunday, January 17, 2010

Crushed my Life Savers

My wife and I went out to see one of her favorite movies on the big screen last night. It's also one of the first movies I saw several times, thanks to the early days of HBO.



What's Up Doc? Is a lovely tribute to the screwball comedies of the 1930's. A sell out crowd at the Wexner Center laughed loudly at a thirty eight year old film that is as fresh and funny as it was when released.

One of my favorite bit actors, Liam Dunn, is in this film as the very stressed out judge. The courtroom scene is one of my favorites in the film. Here's a still from him in Young Frankenstein.



He also played the news vendor in Silent Movie.

An added treat to last night's screening was the appearance of the director himself, Peter Bogdanovich. He also showed up at a reception before the film. I wanted to get a picture with him and continue the series of photographs with directors but I broke out with the shys, so this picture will have to do.



Spot the dork, and it's not the earnest young man with the notebook.

Bogdanovich was very gracious and told many stories about old Hollywood. He was adept at doing many impressions as well, doing Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart and a hysterical version of Howard Hawks laughing. I suspect he also knows a lot of stories that he does not tell. He looks better than his seventy years would suggest, but moved slowly, with some frailty.

After the film we went to Jeni's. She has a few new flavors out, including a scrumptious Gooey Butter Cake.

Working on the kid to put things in the toilet. It's not easy.

No comments: