Friday, January 15, 2010

Yet another blog post: One:

Politicizing a natural disaster is bad form. When people are trapped, starving, in desperate need of medical care and dying, you get the help to them. You do not reflect, complain that you do not want your tax dollars or military to help these people. You get the damn job done, as fast and as accurate as time and safety allows.



Sure, private humanitarian efforts are preferable. There were many private groups already trying to do their best to help in Haiti before the earthquake, and many of their staff and facilities were wiped out. What then? The people in Haiti had little to nothing before the quake, and now that's been taken away from them. There was no infrastructure or stability. I want to be wrong, but the diseases that will come from this tragedy and the social unrest that may follow are going to be just as horrifying as what nature did to the island.

That's where my head has been the past few days. Being as civil as I can on the message boards and status update pages even when disagreeing with respect.

Writers' Block Wednesday night helped. The night usually makes me feel better, and it did. Got some writing done and participated in an unprecedented project that I'm excited about.

I have no complaints. The kid poops in the toilet with increased frequency. He has to start telling us he needs to go. I'm having a Throwback Pepsi and a there's roof over my head. It's a three day weekend.

2 comments:

Link said...

on a slightly different note, I've been getting the Heritage Dr. Peppers lately (with real sugar) and it appears to be a new regular item now. I haven't seen anything that labels them as "limited time only" yet...yet.

Someone Said said...

Have you seen it in cans? All I've seen is a small supply of plastic bottles.