Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday this and that

For many years I kept a blog on Live Journal. In April, I stopped posting. I do not miss it. This place and Facebook keep me busy enough. LJ's dying though. Few of the people I knew back in the day are posting anymore, and what I am seeing now is a bunch of twitter digests. Boring. Glad I got out of there when I did.

Zombies. I hate zombies. They do not impress me. You can only moan out 'brains' once, before I'm bored to tears. I wanted to write a poem about how much I hated zombies but Scott Woods beat me to it. I do not give a crap about what to do in case a zombie attacks, zombie walks, zombie pub crawls, zombie mash ups with literature, or anything that has to do with zombies.

I'd rather hear about pirates.

I've just confused my son. He asked for a lollipop. Gave him one, then took one for myself. He was trying to take it out of my mouth.

Been doing some reading. Was not overly impressed with Nick Hornby's latest Juliet, Naked. It tells the story of music fan obsessed with a reclusive musician. The book begins with a clear picture of what internet obsession can do to a person, and their relationships then fades into a story of failing relationships - which is not as interesting as the internet obsessions. Hornby knows his subjects well, yet failed to connect with this reader.

Also limped through the latest product from Dan Brown. Still trying to figure out what The Lost Symbol was trying to tell me amidst all the puzzles, Newton trivia, Masonic rites and action. For all the criticism of Brown, founded and unfounded, he knows how to jump start a book and keep the pace on the floor for nearly 500 pages. This time, his devices were tired, his descriptions creepy (Langdon's finely toned body was heavier than it appeared) and characters cliched.

What is making me happy is my Scottish Sister-in-Law getting me a copy of the new Denise Mina. It's not being released in the U.S. until March.

Yes, my Wife's sister and boyfriend are here for a few days. Taking them to our fine zoo tomorrow and the Circleville Pumpkin Festival on Wednesday. Good stuff, and the weather has warmed up.

7 comments:

s_baghaii said...

I feel so naked posting out here. I am in need of some bad poetry for this.

Maybe the poems could be about zombies fighting over which parts of the brain that they want. Instead of saying "Brains!" they can say "medulla oblongata" or "prefrontal cortex" or "amygdala." "Medulla oblongata" and "corpus callosum" have to be my favorite sounding parts.

Laughingrat said...

LJ is as alive as people make it. My friendslist is full of interesting people with interesting lives and insights. We have great discussions. Same goes for Dreamwidth, which arguably is an LJ clone, although the user base is a little different.

Someone Said said...

The zombies all need to shut the hell up for awhile.

When the drama left my LJ, the comments dropped dramatically. It was what it was, and it was time to move on.

I'm trying to consolidate, hard as that is. Avoiding all the outrage. Some days it's like I'm a battered reader, and I have to move away from that. I actually dropped someone who I had known for years after she said something about Obama not being a patriot because she did not think he's give his life for freedom.

I do not have time to argue with someone on a different planet. I had enough drama, made enough mistakes and it's time to simply say, fuck zombies.

marybindc said...

I'm still enjoying LJ and finding it useful for me, so thanks for dissing it so thoroughly. Seriously, that was really unnecessarily snitty.

Pirates were 2007. Zombies are 2009. I am bored with both.

Someone Said said...

I burnt out on on LJ long ago, that was never a secret. If it works for you, great. It has stopped working for me.

kat_chan said...

I don't post much on LJ because I hate posting when I have nothing interesting to say. *shrugs*

As for zombies, I'm so burned out on them, even though I loved "Zombieland" (which is the only zombie movie I've seen in the theatre, and only because it was described as a farce to me, and it was). But I hate most horror conventions, and I fear for the Michael Bay reboot of "A Nightmare on Elm Street".

Someone Said said...

Kat: I still have not seen Shaun of the Dead, but I enjoy a good farce too.

Michael Bay should have a John Landis type accident happen to him personally.