Wednesday, October 7, 2009

An old Meme I liked

Most memorable movie going experiences. In a theater setting, watching at home, on video/dvd, or someone else's home does not count.

In no particular order. I know I'm forgetting more than a few.

1) Mr. Mike's Mondo Video - East Islip Theater - 1978. A drunken audience watching a very bad movie. Beer bottles were rolling down the aisle, then being thrown at the screen. The film was then stopped when someone suggested the rabbit that Mr. Mike was holding be shot. On came the second half of the double feature. Flesh Gordon.

2) Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom - NYC - 80s. Not that this was a great movie, but we saw it on a huge freaking screen with the most amazing sound I've heard in a theater.

3&4) The General and Trouble In Paradise - McEwan Hall, SUNY Fredonia 1984. Dr. Shokoff has these on 16mm and played them for us in a class on narrative film. Changed how I look at film.

5) On The Town - Ohio Theater, Columbus Ohio 1998. The Summer Movie Series that CAPA puts on is one of the pleasures of living in this landlocked city. I'd never seen this movie before. The first ten minutes, the opening number on the big screen left me gasping with joy.

6) Four Horsemen of The Apocolypse - Ohio Theater, Columbus, early 90's. Gaylord Carter played the mighty Morton Organ. 'Nuff said.

7) Jaws - Bay Shore Theater - 1975. That head popping out of the boat still scares the crap out of me.

8) Aliens - Cine - Fredonia, New York 1980s - The last 45 minutes of this movie had everyone sitting on the edges, or with their eyes shut praying for their mamas.

9) Fresh Horses - Cine - Fredonia - 1980s. What a dud of a movie. About a third in everyone was talking, and no one cared enough to shhh.

10) Sons of The Desert - Ohio Theater - 2004. The site of hundreds of Laurel and Hardy fanatics, dressed in costume, linking their arms and singing along was one of the most heartwarming things I've ever seen in my life. Bless them. It's all about the fun.

This one goes to 11. This is Spinal Tap, in my friend Gregg's basement. It was the first time I'd ever experienced a great DVD commentary before.

12) Day of Wrath - The Wexner Center. 2006. There is not one frame of this film that will not suck the life and happiness out of you. Every scene is designed to make you cringe in despair and face your truth. To say this film is a downer is to insult the downer. Find yourself a batch of liquor after viewing. The higher the alcohol content the better. I cannot recommend this film highly enough. It will destroy you and the act of putting yourself back together will deliver the redemption the after effects which Day of Wrath will bring to your memories. This film lingers. It will never, ever leave you because in your worst moments you will remember viewing this film and realizing you do not have it so bad after all.

2 comments:

Laughingrat said...

And you wondered why I left before "Day of Wrath" screened that night. I knew, man. I KNEW.

kat_chan said...

9) Fresh Horses - Cine - Fredonia - 1980s. What a dud of a movie.

Would have had to have been in the 1987-89 period. It was filmed in part at University of Cincinnati before I started there in Fall of 1989. One of the scenes was filmed on the bridge outside of the student center there, and one of the guys that I knew who wrote for the student paper was an extra in the movie. His "film career" in the "cinematic masterpiece" was a regular source of sarcastic humor in his column.

Other films filmed in part at the University at this time were "Rain Man" and "Little Man Tate" (which used the lecture room where I had my US History courses, between my first and second years). Of course, the latter also used an almost new Wexner Center, as well, and the Claremont.