Wednesday, October 14, 2009

They Didn't, Then They Did (Love Us, That Is)

A couple of weary people went to see Wilco at the Mershon Auditorium on Monday night.

Liam Finn was the opener, he had Eliza Jane Barnes (Jimmy Barnes' daughter) with him. Finn plays with sound loops, a lot, and bashes the drums hard. It was an energetic set from the son of one of my favorite musicians.



Before we arrived at Mershon, my wife asked me if Wilco provided any banter, if they interacted with the audience or if they just played without talking to the crowd. I assured her that yes, there was banter.

For over a half an hour I felt ignored. They were on stage, playing as though it was a sound check, a rehearsal. All of them standing around, admiring each other. And I had made this promise to my wife!



Sometime in the midst of Impossible Germany, during Nels Cline's incredible solo, it all changed and they seemed to realize a crowd was out there and all became right with the show.

The energy level kicked up. I'm not sure if the kicked up energy came from the older material. My wife was happy they did California Stars.





They also did a kick ass Monday and brought it home with a killer Hoodoo Voodoo. It was an impressive and satisfying ending. Still, I can't think that Tweedy and company are coasting, and have been for the last three records. Maybe it was all the travel we had been through, and the lack of sleep that had me worn out. Live though, the band is a force.

4 comments:

marybindc said...

I was wondering if Liam Finn was good, or if he was just riding on his dad and uncle's coattails. Glad to hear a positive review!

Someone Said said...

He's not riding on anyone's coat tails, but his voice is very reminicent of his Dad's. Family genes are not always a bad thing to inherit. I'm not keen on the looping, but they were having a good time out there.

gooner71 said...

Good for you bigging up Liam Finn. Second Chance from I'll Be Lightning was one of my favorite songs from 2008 and it made my best of mix tape that Bob and I exchange every year.

Seeing him with Wilco? Must have been special.

Someone Said said...

His looping techniques bore me after awhile, but his enthusiasm onstage is quite endearing. I'll be looking for more from him.

I do a mix every year, the link will be here when the time comes.