Saturday, October 10, 2009

Round Two

Going in the later round meant there was more time to think, which in my case is not always the best idea. I was restless, wandering to other venues, checking out the other poets while my wife and friend hung at the Valpariso. I liked what I saw and am now a fan of Karen Finneyfrock, who did a lovely piece about discovering sex in high school and another about Lot's wife. Great stuff.

The Long Haul was the smallest venue, and my claustrophobia stressed me out so I was out of the room most of the first round. I was in the seventh slot and did Nobody's Poet.

After Thursday night, I brought out the paper for the first quarter of the piece. A crutch that kept me confident. I thought it was going well, there was one minor slip I covered up, the crowd was digging it. The judges another story.

It got a 25.4 lowest in the round. So what. I belong.

I was a bit more relaxed after getting it done and hung out in the packed room for round two. My new favorite poet is Joshua Walters, who uses humor and playfulness in very cool ways. I dig his humor, the silliness and told him so after and we exchanged merchandise.

I was the last poet of the night and did Would Jesus Really Rather Have a Buick. I did ok, but I think the paper was a barrier between me and the crowd. I also thought the judges were fading too. Still got a 27.1 which I think tied me for 11th in the round.

Kike McGee announced he was now a fan of mine. That's high praise. Another person approached me in the cafe and said kind words.

Waiting for the results to be posted so I can see who is in the finals. I want to know how this is going to end tonight. It's going to be incredible.

We're headed into San Francisco for the day. Yesterday we wandered around The UC Berkeley Campus. Had to go see the libraries, was not pleased the Sacher Tower was closed for renovations. Saw the Golden Gate Bridge from a distance, want to see it from Fisherman's Wharf.

It's been a great time here.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Hope you have a great time in the city. Congratulations on putting yourself out there!

(We talked about going but just couldn't face the hour drive.)

Laughingrat said...

Huh, my first comment got lost. Anyway, I didn't know you were going to get to keep reading. Yay! I know it's tough, but you're already doing better than, say, most of the slam poets in the country just by being there. :)