Monday, March 29, 2010

It's Old. It's Grey, and Confusing

The car is falling apart. The rear window windshield wiper arm broke off in my hand one frozen morning. The driver's side bezel for the headlights vibrated off on I-70 one night.

Brakes wear down, it's natural. Ended up taking the day off since the shop had to special order brake pads. What? You don't have parts for an '88 Volvo 760 (with a 740 4 cylinder engine!) behind the counter?

While I waited for them to figure out what they were ordering I got a substantial part of Ian Rankin's 'Strip Jack' read. What a pleasure the Rebus story is. A brilliantly put together character with plenty of flaws and humanity. Only thirteen more in the series. I'm reading them in order, and not really rushing the process. Rankin's awesome.



So in the meantime I've been minimally productive. I got a haircut and then went to Nancy's for some food. First time back since the reopening. Home fries undercooked, toast passed under a 100 watt bulb for five seconds. Yes, they're back!

I'm listening to Lily Allen do a cover of Straight to Hell, yes the Clash song. Know what? It does not suck.

2 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Everyone should have a diner or restaurant nearby called Nancy's or something similar. In my hometown it's Maria's where everyone goes.

Now I'm having terrible guilt because I have not read any of the rebus novels.

Hope your car gets better.

Someone Said said...

Nancy's is wonderful. One of those places where people of all origins and classes congregate. It closed last May but reopened a couple of months back. It's cleaner, but mostly the same.

I really like how Rankin gets into the skin of the city and puts it on the page. Not many authors are capable of that but he's a master.

The car is hanging in there, waiting for the right parts was today's delay. I found a place down the block from me that does good work at a reasonable price.