Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Things that are Happening, and what Already Has

This weekend, starting on Saturday night, Scott Woods is once again doing a 24 hour poetry reading.

There's even a schedule here.

A couple of nights ago I went to the Poetry Forum at the Rumba Cafe and went to Joanna Schroeder's feature.



She is one of the most supportive humans on the planet and a very hard working poet. It was my pleasure to go out on a night I was feeling cranky and have my grouchiness reduced by a night of wonderful poetry.

All the blow back from health care reform passing has turned up my ire this week. Man, so much anger out there. This country really needs to sit back and exhale for a minute.

I was a bit disappointed in the new book by Marilyn Johnson. You know I love librarians and libraries but this book had a lot of east coast bias, probably due to limited time and finances to research, but it was more descriptive in librarian fashion than in any real discussion of libraries in the modern world. What exactly is going on was blurred more by the longest chapter in the book, on Second Life, that brought the book to a screeching halt for me. There is some good value in chapters on how the New York Public Library is adapting but too much of the text is about cupcakes and twee while ignoring any real substance. Read The Dead Beat instead.

Slam tonight at Kafe Kerouac. It's time to be in a poetry slam instead of reading about race and poetry slam. We do it better than talk it to death, at least this week, I think. This white, middle aged man is ready to bring it.

First, to wake the kid up for school.

No comments: