Thursday, August 5, 2010

But You'll Find Out Just Wait and See

After last night's open mic, I was hankering for a snack. I remembered there was a taco truck at Lane and High so I went a couple of blocks south only to find that it was closed. This made me sad.

What Columbus does need is a late night Chippie, or something like this.

It was after I was home and lamented this on Facebook that others gave me options, all of them valid.

I'm sure I've written a bit here about The Knack. That band from the late seventies who had that one big hit, a couple of small ones, then vanished into a VH-1 special. They did some great covers too, and I found this a couple of nights ago.



This Buddy Holly song is blistering. I love the "Oh Wow" out of Fieger at 1:10. They had no idea what was coming. Their debut album had not even been released yet, nor was My Sharona, when they played Carnegie Hall in March of 1979.

Get the Knack was a big hit and expectations were high for the follow up. But the Little Girls Understand was a rush job, and the first single, Baby Talks Dirty was a My Sharona sound alike that paled to the original.

In 1981 their third record, Round Trip, was released. I think it's one of the most overlooked records, ever. At it's worst, a failed experiment. At best, prime examples of power pop, new wave and psychedelia.



Find this if you can.

The band broke up, got back together a few times, made some records few listened to, toured the nostalgia circuit. Their drummer, Bruce Gary, died of cancer in 2006. Then, in February of this year, lead singer Doug Fieger, died of brain cancer.

No comments: