Sunday, August 29, 2010

Scared, in Front of a Crowd

Last night's dream involved my first wife and I doing a team piece at a poetry slam. A big poetry slam. A Nationals type event. Somehow when we printed out the poem, the part she was doing printed out fine, but mine only had the first part of each line so half my part was missing.

(Don't bring up memorization, it's my dream ok?)

So we got up to the stage and after the applause died down, I deliberately woke myself up because I did not want to know what would happen next.

Took the family out to a graduation party yesterday. N's been to this place before but was among a mostly unfamiliar crowd. So he was standing there looking a bit lost. Even enticing him with a lollipop did not get him to move. I took him by the hand and sat him in my lap, where he stayed, very content, for the next two hours.

At one point, I got up to mingle, and he stayed in the chair just fine. I looked over at him and he held his hand up as to give me a high five but when I gave him the high five he took my hand, pulled to to the chair and said, "Do you want down?"

Meaning, sit with me Daddy.

He's a very sweet child, even when he woke up at 4:30AM he's still sweet.

No comments: