Monday, August 9, 2010

There was the Weekend

Gallery Hop remains one of the cool things about Columbus. Last Saturday's had its moments of fun and the unexpected.

We saw our friend Gina selling her jewelry. I had a lovely pork belly Japanese crepe before the Foodie Cart was booted for not having a permit. Controversy, histrionics and internet purity ensue.

It was a fine crepe, despite me getting grease on my shirt. I'm cool with it because the stains came out. Then it was off to Zen Cha to experience an awkward social situation followed by refreshing bubble tea.

We also met with one of the founders of Alt Eats Columbus, a local food blog that explores dining experiences in Columbus that are a bit off the beaten path. I've found some cool places thanks to them. This blog has spun off into a business venture called Columbus Foot Tours in which one can experience guided tours of local taco trucks on the West Side or some ethnic dining on the Northeast part of town. I wish them luck with the plan, it looks great.

Onto Jeni's for dessert. There is always room for jeni's. We endured a very short line, one of the benefits of hitting the hop early, and got back on High Street in no time. The new seasonal is a Peach Lambic Sorbet, and Jeni has gone above and beyond her usual high standards. Very well balanced flavors between sweet and sour, and combined with the Honey Vanilla Bean it is a divine Summer experience.

Ran into a former coworker, noticed there were live models in some of the store fronts this month and called it a night.



Columbus also has a new, nice, and expensive bridge that spans the Scioto River. It's rather pleasant from a pedestrian standpoint.



I'm waiting for the Greenpeace banner moment myself. I have to say it adds a cool vista for the underrated Columbus skyline.



Next summer the bridge will be two way, Genoa and Bicentennial Park will be finished and the waterfront will be a bit for accessible by the public.

Yesterday was stay at home day. Got a lot more water damaged junk out of the basement. Played more vinyl. Life's alright, even though this song is in my head.

2 comments:

BrownSugar said...

I still have yet to actually go to a Gallery Hop. I've picked up or dropped off friends there before and once I passed out flyers early in the day for one but I've never really got into the spirit of it. Too many people crowding the sidewalks for me to be comfortable.

On the vinyl front, I think I'm going to wuss out and just buy an Aiwa or some shelf stereo that has a turntable. I'm not having much luck in finding reasonably priced pieces to build my own and I honestly don't know enough about it to make a cost effective purchase.

Someone Said said...

We get there early enough to avoid most of the crowds. The masses start showing up when we're about to leave. It's not bad if you're just walking up and down High Street then.

Hey, get the system thay works for you. I'm interested in getting one of those Crosley self contained units but am too lazy to look up reviews. Then there's the turntable you can hook up to your computer to record your vinyl onto disc.