Monday, August 2, 2010

Confused by Hooves

Did something yesterday I'd been putting off for far too long. The turntable and stereo have been set up in the back room for years. I rarely sit back there and use them. Once in awhile I'll turn on the radio. Saturday was the first time I put on a album in months.

But Sunday, that was the time to bring up the 45's.

For a couple of hours it was a nostalgia trip, dropping the needle on singles I forgot I had and wondered what the hell I was doing with.



A case in point.

My son joined me for a good amount of the time also. Not sure if he was grooving to the music but he picked up a 45 and put his lips in the opening. We peeked at each other through the holes in record sleeves and smiled at each other. He sat in my lap and took in my shuffling though the records, and they were, after all these years, still in alphabetical order.

My wife seemed to like me pulling out a few things also. But I had to take the needle off Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and the Bronski Beat.

A big surprise was finding this song. It was quite humbling to see that it is thirty one years old.



This was a huge hit on WLIR back in the day. Didn't John DeBella play this all the time?

I remember playing some of my parents records and joking that they were old. Those songs were only about 10-15 years old. I have 45's that are older than I am.

The two songs that got me the most were a couple of George Harrison B-Sides. I Don't Care Anymore is a drunken goof. Then there's this one.



The phone number at the end allegedly belonged to Mr. McCartney.

I'm hoping it will take me more than a decade before I break out the singles again. There's a tactile pleasure to playing records that goes so much more personal and deeper than simply clicking on a song in iTunes. Plus the whole sound fidelity issue. The warmth and depth you get out of vinyl that is not there in digital sound, even when the record crackles and skips. Man, Revolution sounded so dirty and distorted on the 45. The Fabs could be so nasty, or at least be mixed that way.

4 comments:

BrownSugar said...

Now you've made me want to play all of my old vinyl. I have a couple of crates of mine and no turntable and with Dad moving, I just unearthed all of my parents very old vinyl (Dave Brubeck, Barry White, Nat Cole). Looks like I may have to make a stereo purchase soon.

Someone Said said...

Scott started it by going to the newly opened Spoonful Recods on Long Street. My turntable's been sitting there, unplayed, for too long.

BrownSugar said...

True. That post got me thinking about a new turntable as well. Guess I'll be heading to the pawn shops this weekend.

Someone Said said...

If you go let me know what the selection is like. I'm interested in prices on direct drives.